But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.(2 Timothy 2:16) KJV
We (that’s me and the Holy spirit) have affectionately called the broad class of people on Twitter who graciously take the time to tell us that we’re stupid atheist science trolls (ASTs) or scientifically illiterate science worshipers (SISWs).
Arguing with ASTs about spiritual things, or the soul, is usually pointless because their basic defense is to say something like:
Science can’t detect the soul so therefore it doesn’t exist.– Atheist Science Troll
We all have the same evidence. Our choice of paradigm determines what we think it’s evidence of.– Matty’s Razor
On the face of it they’re right, right? There’s nothing that could be the source of our consciousness and personality, which could exist in either a non-corporeal state or be transferred to a new body, that mainstream science (SciPop) can detect. Or is there? There are two reasons why the statement above is superficial:
- SciPop doesn’t know what it can’t detect, because it can’t detect it,
- what if SciPop is detecting the soul, it just doesn’t know it?
So let’s think about things that SciPop can’t detect, or at least, has only recently detected with the newest technology. How about gravity? The gravitational wave detector at LIGO has been online for a while but the first ever recorded detection of a gravitational wave was in September 2015. According to AST logic, they didn’t exist before that. You see the obvious flaw. Of course gravitational waves existed before September 2015, the rhetoric used by ASTs is simply idiotic.
O Timothy! Guard what was committed to your trust, avoiding the profane and idle babblings and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge— by professing it some have strayed concerning the faith.(1 Timothy 6:20-21) NKJV
There have been a couple of new battles but the grace and peace which we maintained while dealing with them has been encouraging. We’ve grown. We’ve also extracted ourselves from the profane and vain babbling on social media. We’ve even been known to be nice.
- Matty: If all of the impurity and corruption has been disposed of in the lake of fire in outer darkness then the center of creation is free for God to inhabit with his people: those who chose him because they had freewill.
- Sad Idealist: I’m sorry, but I have to edit the end of your tweet to “those who chose him because they succumbed to threats of being disposed of in the lake of fire in the outer darkness.” If I choose to do something with a gun to my head, my choice is under duress, not free.
- Matty: I don’t see any threats, just a statement of fact. Hell and the lake of fire are the default outcome for all of the material generated by nucleosynthesis. Jesus came to give our souls an alternative outcome.
- Sad Idealist: Thank you for your reply. I praise your patience with an alternative view. Thank you. And I like your reply too. The “default outcome” – I never thought of it quite that way.
- Matty: This is very graceful. Wouldn’t it be nice to have people like this in political leadership?
Twitter is the forum where we engaged with the world community and we had a lot of pitched-battle adversarial relationships which have lead us to refer to large groups of people as atheist science trolls (ASTs) or scientifically illiterate science worshipers (SISW). We are pondering whether to merge the two designations to one: Scientards.
However, is this really productive? If the world is going to dissolve and God is not willing that any should perish, what are we doing about it? Making fun of the ignorance of our generation of science worshipers is making people think that Christianity is more stupid than they previously thought. Yet we’re bringing them the truth that perfectly reconciles science with the Bible. All they have to do is accept Jesus Christ as their savior and they will avoid the pit of hell and have everlasting life in heaven.
House of Serenity
Health and Wellness