These are the generations of the sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Sons were born to them after the flood.(Genesis 10:1) ESV
In popular science (SciPop) Pangaea is the original super-continent which predates the formation of the continents as we know them today. This is a conclusion which we deduce from the evidence.
If this is true then the Bible should be congruent with it. The main clue that we have which allows us to deduce that this continent existed, and that it broke up, is the current distribution of biodiversity. How did marsupials and monotremes get to Australia? for example, is the type of issue that we can resolve if Pangaea is a contiguous landmass for a period of time after Noah’s flood. It’s Hypothesis 35.
- IF The Bible is true,
- AND Noah’s flood happened and it was world-wide,
- THEN in order to account for the observed distribution of biological diversity:
- the Earth had to be one continental land mass, Pangaea, for a period of time after the flood,
- at some point after Babel, but presumably before Abraham (when the main narrative of the Bible begins), the Pangaea super-continent broke up.
- THEREFORE there ought to be a reference to the tectonic breakup of Pangaea in the Bible.
This was the period of time when biodiversity and human family groups spread out across the face of the earth, before the formation of tectonic plates and continental land masses as we know them today.
The Time Span from Noah’s Flood to Peleg (Genesis 11:10-26)
- Arphaxad was born 2 years after the flood,
- He was 35 at the birth of Selah,
- Selah was 30 at the birth of Eber,
- Eber was 34 at the birth of Peleg,
- 2 + 35 + 30 + 34 = 101 Years
Based on what little information we have on the time between the end of Noah’s flood and the day that Peleg was born (about 100 years) we can speculate that Pangaea had a Mediterranean sea.
|The Sons of Noah||Genesis 10:2-4|
|Pangaean Mediterranean||Genesis 10:5|
|2||From Noah to Peleg||Genesis 11:10-26|
|Hypothesis 35 – Peleg’s Tectonics||Genesis 10:25|