And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD. And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD. For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.(Isaiah 66:20-23) KJV
The mountain referred to by Old Testament prophets as “my holy mountain” is a reworking of the current land configuration as opposed to something completely new of extra-terrestrial origin.
My Holy Mountain
- This is a great mountain, and filled the whole earth (Daniel 2:35)
- from Geba to Rimmon south of Jerusalem: and it shall be lifted up (Zechariah 14:10)
- It shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills (Isaiah 2:2)
- Which is the result of every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain (Isaiah 40:4 )
- All nations shall flow unto it (Isaiah 2:2)
- All flesh shall see it together (Isaiah 40:5)
The Old testament prophets were referring to the Millennial Kingdom when they used the phrase “the new heavens and the new earth.” They weren’t referring to the new heaven and the new Earth of Revelation chapters 21 and 22, which will come after the Millennial Kingdom. Here are two ways to confirm that there’s a difference between the two times:
- Isaiah writes, “as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.”
- In Revelation 21:22 we are told that there will be no temple (house of the Lord).
- Isaiah also writes of new moons during the time he is referring to,
- In Revelation 21:23 we are told that there is no need of the sun or the moon, for the Glory of God is the light of it.
We must clearly understand that the Old Testament prophesy points to a time when the world in which we now live will be changed into a new Earth. The heavens will look new because the appearance will be different. However, this new world system, over which Jesus Christ will rule for 1,000 years, is temporary. It will eventually pass away. The corruption that’s such an inherent part of this physical system can be subdued, but only for a while. The only way to be completely rid of the corruption that’s the cause of sin is for the Lord to make a new heaven and new Earth from material that has a nature we know nothing of.
We have to remember that God created gravity on the 2nd day as a way of separating the corrupted from the incorruptible. The vast body of heaven was constructed of material that has no earthly analog. Our periodic table of elements is only part of the story, so to speak. We’ve been given some clues as to the nature of what some of these materials will be like. That’s going to be part of what we study in the devotion for the month of December. The heavenly material, including gold so pure that it’s as transparent as glass, is what the new heavens and the new Earth will be made of.
If our premise is our desire, that there’s no creator God, then we interpret evidence according to the desire that our premise is true, we end up with “popular science.”