God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.(Genesis 1:5) ESV
The deep had to be transformed in order to produce light. Formless became formed, empty became full, dark became light. However, this caused a new darkness: night. Not the absence of light, the obstruction of light.
States of the Deep
|The Deep||Primitive State||Advanced Condition|
|Void||Pure Water||Primordial Soup|
The command, let light be, initiated the process of changing all three states from primitive to advanced.
Pattern and Process in Creation
- Darkness that came when the sacrifice was made,
- The first appearance of light,
- God said let light be,
- the resurrection.
- Darkness that came when the sacrifice was rejected,
- night at the end of the first day,
- the great falling away.
- The second appearance of light,
- the firmament, heaven (light above) and
- Earth (darkness below).
- The permanent separation of light from darkness,
- the new heaven and earth (inner light), and
- the lake of fire (outer darkness).
Formless became a form, empty became full, dark became light.